Great Start Shiawassee Parent Coalition
Parents play a critical role in the healthy development of young children, ages 0-8. Great Start Shiawassee recognizes the expertise and value of parents. The Great Start Parent Coalition supports efforts to engage, empower and recruit parent leaders.
Parent Coalition Meetings
Join us at our next meeting to enjoy dinner and conversation with other parents. Fun learning activities for parents and children.
Meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of the Month from 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Dinner and tot watch provided. Meeting details are located on the Great Start event calendar. Location: 114 W. North Street, Owosso, Michigan.
To find out more information about the Great Start Shiawassee Parent Coalition contact our
Great Start Parent Liaison
Parent Coalition Activities
MAIL (Mailbox Adventures In Literacy) - Children in Shiawassee County (ages 0-4) are eligible to receive an age-appropriate book in the mail each month. Coalition members assist in packaging the books for shipping.
Bus Book Buckets - Bus rides can be long for young children so the Coalition provides buckets of books to various school bus routes. The Coalition provides the books, volunteers stop in regularly to refresh the selection.
Touch-A-Truck - Our most popular event! Trucks, emergency vehicles and more turnout for children to explore while our non-profit partners host various fun activities inside. Coalition members help set-up/take down tables for the event and distribute books.
The Great Start Parent Coalition also offers parenting classes. The 2023 class will be based on Making Parenting A Pleasure, dealing with ages 0-8. Topics will include:
- Parents identify and discuss “Barriers” they may encounter
- Parents identify the values and goals they want for their child, as they “pack their child’s suitcase”
- Parents learn to support their children's emotional development through emotion coaching
- Parents learn to strengthen the parent-child relationship with “Positive Attention Through Play”
- Parents learn about current brain development information and the “Effect of Stress” on child development
Details to come.