Secondary Transition

Transition is a coordinated set of activities that promote movement from school into adult life.

Transition planning assists a student with a disability to prepare for his/her future in many areas including Adult Living/Daily Living, Career/Employment, Recreation/Community Participation and Post-Secondary Education/Training.

Transition Services

Transition Planning

Transition Planning begins for a student with a disability who has an IEP as early as 14 years of age. The Transition Plan must be in place by the student's 16th birthday. The student, parents, teachers, caregivers, and agency representatives plan collaboratively to better prepare the student to develop independent living skills, to enter the world of work, and / or to pursue further education upon graduation from or completion of his or her secondary education program.

Transition Services

A student with a disability who has an IEP may receive additional services and referrals to outside agencies through the SRESD to better define his or her career pathway and selection of vocational opportunities. Transition Coordinators may make referrals for a student to gather information through his or her local school district's guidance office, student services office, school library, or career resource center. Transition services offered through the SRESD are voluntary.

Job Shadows

A student with a disability who has an IEP may request an opportunity to observe tasks involved in a specific occupation through a job shadow. A job shadow encourages a student to meet and ask questions of adults who are working in a particular field of interest within the community.

Individualized Vocational Training (IVT) Program

The IVT Program offers a vocational training option to a student with a disability who has an IEP whose vocational education interests and needs can not be addressed in a general education vocational education program. The IVT Program is offered in the junior or senior year.

Work Study Program

The Work Study Program provides on-the-job training, follow-up services, and related counseling to a student with a disability who has an IEP. Work Study placement usually occurs during the senior year and encourages students to apply skills acquired in a school setting to a real job situation.

Transition Related Websites

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), if you are going to apply for:

  • Scholarships
  • Financial Aid
  • Grants
  • Other sources of Financial Aid
  1. Forms are available from your High School Counselor or apply on line.
  2. Be prepared to have tax information available to complete the form.
  3. You may apply each year you are attending post high school training college.

A hero doesn’t necessarily have to wear a cape and tights, maybe a hero speaks up for what’s right. Maybe that hero could be you. If you see or hear something that doesn’t seem right, you can submit a confidential tip to OK2SAY. OK2SAY allows anyone to confidentially report tips on criminal activities or potential harm directed at Michigan students, school employees, or schools. Protect yourself and others by using OK2SAY. Because if you won’t, who will?

Confidential Reporting Link